[pct-l] sleeping bag vs quilt

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 07:10:47 CST 2014

Karen,

I'm also a pretty restless, tosser/turner. On our thru-attempt last year I
replaced a very old, worn-out EMS bag with a Marmot Plasma (rated to +15f)
at Kennedy Meadows south. We had plenty of below-freezing nights/mornings
in the Sierras, but except for the coldest nights, I stayed plenty warm
using it as a quilt -- unzipping it all the way and just tucking my feet in
the foot-box. It worked great, and kept me toasty warm when sleeping in my
silk base layer. That said, there were more than a few nights where I was
glad to be able to actually use it as a bag. Was very happy with this
system and will use it again on future hikes.

-dz
(co-captain, Team No Hurries)

--
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    --Buddhist proverb