[pct-l] Thru-hike breaks

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 17:04:16 CST 2014

Prior to setting out on the PCT I had committed to catering my bro-in-law's
wedding north of Seattle in May.  When my planned 5 weeks of hiking the
deserts turned into a thru hike, I still needed to make good on my
commitment for the wedding or I'd have been dog meat once I finished the
trail in Sept.  So, I was off the trail for 3 weeks with family and
prepping for what had become a thru hike and rejoined my friends in Lone
Pine having skipped 3 weeks of desert hiking to catch up with them.  I
hiked straight to Canada from there and then jumped back down to the
deserts to finish my thru hike in the autumn.  It was a great time to hike
in those way too hot in the summer places and I got to finish my hike at
the Saufley's home in Agua Dulce, a very special place to complete anything!

So, this year I'm hiking the AT and already have one wedding in Brooklyn in
May that I need to go to.  This will give me a good excuse for a week of
vacation from the trail with my wife.  By mid trail I'm missing her pretty
much so this is all good.

Weddings are just one of those things you may need to get off trail for.
 And looking all shaggy at a formal affair is really pretty fun.  The hiker
funk won't leave you overnight, so you'll have a whole table to yourself at
the reception!

Have a wonderful hike!

Shroomer