[pct-l] PCT Elevation gain/loss Stats

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Mon Feb 24 05:54:14 CST 2014

Some time ago I added up all the section elevation gains noted on the
first page of each section on the Half Mile maps, which I assumed were
based on continuous meter-by-meter GPS tracking so would give the actual
total climbing stats (integral), not just "step up/down"
half-mile-interval based stats, but I hope Half Mile might clarify.
Anyway, I didn't use a calculator, just added in my head, and got
310,000 ft, which is about 60 miles, or 10 times Everest from sea-level,
or 25 times Everest from base camp to summit.  But why the discrepancy
from Jim (PITA)?   And what about the 600,000 ft (110 miles) mentioned
in other posts?

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 22:09:49 CST 2014

Jim (PITA)