[pct-l] Query about storing dehydrated meat - "Gravel"

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 10:19:12 CST 2014

Good'ay,

I dry several items including my favorite - ground meat that I (and others) call "Gravel".
Google it......
I take 90 percent plus lean beef cooked in a skillet with varying spices and soy type sauces. My last batch had red pepper flakes and garlic - yum!  Another I added Sriracha hot sauce!
I cook it till it is browned then I use paper towels to remove as much fat as I can.
Next, I use the high heat setting on my fan forced dehydrater and remove ALL of the remaining moisture.  Next, I grind the Gravel in a food processor to a unified consistency.
The last step is to place portions into SealaMeal bags and then into the freezer until the day of shipping or taking on a trip.

What I have discovered on several meat based jerky products is that meat WILL spoil at some date.
So I remove as much fat, moisture and oxygen as I can, then freeze until needed.
Your mileage may vary........(or in your case your kiloage may vary)

I then take my "Gravel" and rehydrate in just about every noodle based meal I can.

StarMan

Sent from my iPad