[pct-l] Shoe size and blisters

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Feb 16 13:29:43 CST 2014

Say guys,
I also have rather wide feet and had trouble finding wide enough hiking
shoes
until I started wearing High Tec hiking shoes.
Most High Tec have a wider than average foot box, reducing the risk of
the toes
being pressed and rubbing together, which is a major reason for between
toes
blisters.
The other thing I like about High Tec,....they resist rolling over which
reduces the
  risk of sprained ankles.

The first things I check when I try out a hiking shoe are...is the foot
box in the
toe area wide enough for the toes to move freely?....Does it resist
rolling over?
If the answer is no to either one, I am not interested.
You will find that most jogging or hiking shoes have litle resistance to
rolling over
if you try to make the shoe roll over.
Most High Tec, on the other hand, seem to resist rolling over and you
almost have
to force them to roll over.

Sprained ankles and between toe blisters trouble many hikers.
If you are one of those hikers, try High Tec.

JMT Reinhold
------------------------------

If you can not find a pair of shoes with an adequately wide toe box for
you, try cutting your shoes toe box to widen it and then reenforce it
with duct tape. The down side here is that you will need to do regular
maintaince on the shoe less its life will be dramatically shortened.
Shepherd
On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Tortoise wrote: >/I'm not mad at smart
on feet. And I seldom get blisters. />//>/I suspect the major cause of
blisters is shoes that are too short to />/too narrow in the toe area
for your feet. If so the toes cannot />/spread as nature intended so
they rub against each other. />//>/My two cents worth. Comments? />//>/
Tortoise /