[pct-l] travel insurance pct

joyce at beedie.com joyce at beedie.com
Fri Feb 14 13:36:09 CST 2014

We use the GEOSAlliance SAR (Search and rescue) service  available with the SPOT
device and various satellite phones (e.g., DeLorme,  Iridium Extreme) and other
approved SOS devices.  This covers getting you picked up at the incident
(accident or illness) location and transported to the nearest treatment facility
for stabilization.   Since it's essentially free with the device, this is a
no-brainer.

The Medivac (medical evacuation) insurance from GEOSAlliance is available to the
general public.  This covers getting you to a good hospital, getting you
emergency treatment/stabilization and having you transported to a hospital of
your choice.  Their description:  "We will look after you all the way from the
place of the incident, which occurred at least 99 miles away from your home, to
the nearest hospital required to stabilize your condition and finally throughout
the medical evacuation to the final hospital of your choice. We even cover the
cost of any emergency treatment required to stabilize your condition so that you
may then be safely medically evacuated to your final hospital of choice."

  It covers us whenever we're more than 99 miles from home and there are
"domestic" only and international coverages. You can also buy short-term and
annual coverage.   Typical individual US/Canada coverage runs $2.25/day or
$99/year.  International is $3.25/day and $120/year.

 Coverage and exclusions are here:
http://www.geosalliance.com/geos-services/worldwide-medical-evacuation/
     http://www.geosalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/GEOS-SAR-BENEFIT-TERMS-AND-CONDITIONS.pdf

There are exclusions on professional sports, and specific activities (like
paragliding) but not on altitude per se.   There is an age limitation (75) and
treatment for pre-existing conditions are excluded.  Note that this is not
"health insurance" in that it only covers getting you stabilized and home and of
course, there are limitations on total costs for treatment.

We hike/travel in Europe a lot, so this makes sense for us.  But it may not be
all that useful in the US, where your own health coverage is likely to apply for
treatment and medical evacuation/rescue services are unlikely to be charged for
(unlike Europe.)   The only real additional benefit when in the US is
"repatriation" or getting you back to a hospital near home.

There are also SAR and Medivac plans available as part of (SAR) or in addition
to membership in the American Alpine Club.  Very similar benefits, etc. and,
since it's oriented to climbers, without altitude restrictions. The AAC plans
also offer trip cancellation benefits, etc as well. , You might want to look
into that, too.