[pct-l] Food

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Feb 10 14:37:11 CST 2014

Jake Handy wrote:

> I understand that my caloric needs will definitely rise during the day to day hiking of a thru attempt, especially from that of my 2 to 3 day hikes I'm used to.  Can someone give me a snapshot of a typical day on the PCT of what they ate, including specific foods/amounts?  I realize that needs vary with the weather and terrain, but an idea of your average day would help!  By the way.... I'm a fit 46 y/o guy.
> Thanks!
> Jake

This is our daily diet for a stoveless hike.  This is what we eat in the
High Sierras.  Him-age 76, 180 lbs.  Me-age 57, 160 lbs.
We eat the same thing every day and don't get tired of it, that is just
how we are.
Breakfast is granola and milk made from Nido (a full fat powdered milk)
Lunch is eaten through the day while hiking--
turkey jerky
string cheese
mixed nuts
mixed dried fruit
2 protein bars such as Detour, Balance, or Lara bars
During the day we drink water, instant iced tea or gatorade with
Emergen-C added.
dinner is a protein shake (100% whey powder made by Muscle Milk)(We
drink this as soon as we quit hiking for the day)
and a rehydrated dinner made with some kind of grain (brown rice, cous
cous, quinoa or beans) a protein such as dried chicken, tuna, shrimp or
TVP, and dried vegetables and spices. I make my own dinners.
Trader Joe Bittersweet dark chocolate for dessert.