[pct-l] Foot ready, are you?

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:23:37 CST 2014

Before my PCT hike I was already an avid hiker that put in weekly miles
in So Cal. However, something about the PCT still gave me blisters.

One mistake I made was the shoes I started out with were goretex. Never
wear goretex shoes. They will kill your feet. Search goretex shoes and
Andrew Skurka if you don't believe me. He does not even recommend them
in wet conditions.

The trouble with the PCT is that it is too maintained. It is very very
smooth. There is hardly any variation as you walk. Barely any rocks
underfoot. If there is a slope to the tread, it lasts for 10 miles. It's
a perpetual motion injury machine. It starts with blisters between your
big and 2nd toe. Then you favor your foot because of the blister and the
change in your gait causes problems in your knees or your hips. Soon you
think you have knee problems. Then you get to a long climb with the
trail tilted outward to the slope. Your little pinky toe on that side
turns into a massive blister. Then it's 10 miles to the other side and
your other pinky toe is hamburger.

Not much you can do really but wear breathable shoes, stop and air out
your feet often, change your socks a lot, and take care of any blisters
and hotspots as soon as possible. It'll pass. After the Sierras, which
is a couple hundred miles of your feet being constantly wet, your feet
will be impervious.