[pct-l] Filter vs. Chlorine dioxide

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Fri Feb 7 18:00:25 CST 2014

I use a Sawyer filter now, but did hike several seasons using the chlorine dioxide tablets.  They are easy to use and impart minimal taste.  However, they require 30 minutes to kill most bugs, and 4 hours to get the toughest ones.  That can make for a long wait.  Or carry more water than you would otherwise, with some drinkable, and some that is being treated.  And your water has time to warm up closer to air temp before you drink it and may not be as refreshing.  And that is what led me to carry the extra couple of ounces for a Sawyer Squeeze filter.

Ed Jarrett A Clay Jar: http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/  Eeyore Hikes http://eeyorehikes.blogspot.com/Twitter: https://twitter.com/EdJarrett53 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ed.jarrett.71