[pct-l] Start time

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Mon Feb 3 10:36:40 CST 2014

 On 02/02/14, rbelshee wrote:
I'm looking at those mountains right now and they are bare, even at higher elevations. There was a few inches snow a few days ago but it melted off in two days.

Yesterday we were hiking at elevations over 7000' near Gorman. There was a thin layer of snow on north facing slopes. There was a snow flurry in the afternoon that was quite dry. Any snow that we saw will be gone in a couple of days. Friends report that there's very little snow on Mt. San Antonio, 10,064', and from the foothills, I can't see any snow in the San Gabriels. A couple of weeks ago we were at Sulphur Springs CG in the San Gabriels, it was dry as a bone for snow and water. Last month we saw just a tiny bit of stagnant water in Crowther Canyon near I-15.

IMHO, unless winter really roars in February and March, a May 1 start will be a little late for water.

Gary