[pct-l] PCT Resupply

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Dec 21 10:25:48 CST 2014

A group of PCT section hikers are banging north along the trail in lateseason.  They get some resupplies atKennedy Meadows and then head north into the mighty Sierras.  They are alone out there as most other hikershad headed home by now and the ranger stations had closed.  The weather was getting colder and the windwas picking up too.

By the time they pass the Crab Tree Meadow trail turn off to Mt. Whitney,they realized they only have several days of food left.  This was very disappointing and irritating.  Running out of food in the Sierras is seriousand not fun.

Finally, they decide that one of them should hoof it over the WhitneyCrest down to Lone Pine to get some resupply items.  It will be a big hike to do this and not a sure thing.  But it has tobe tried, since even the Whitney Portal Store is closed now.

To see who will go, they draw cards with the lowest one to go.  The unlucky victim loudly protests thateveryone will eat the remaining food including his share once he is gone.  They solemnly promise that they will not dothis and will wait until he returns.   “Justhurry and we will be here waiting for you even if you do not make it over the crest.”

Three days pass and still no resupplyhiker.  Finally, they start to eat the lastof the food.  They are dreading the longhike to Lone Pine with hardly any food and soon empty stomachs.

All at once the resupply hiker jumps out frombehind a rock and yells, “I knew it!  I amnot going.”