[pct-l] 2011 Thru-hiker Photo Essay from the Sierras (Big Snow Year)

Alan & Linda Julliard atjulliard at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 18:41:59 CST 2014

Hi Sam!

I followed your link and enjoyed the story and pictures which reminded me of my hike.  Check out this photo of Mather Pass from the Funk Brothers 1975 hike: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=210716 which was taken at almost the exact same place as your photo.  As you can see in the graph you have of snow depths over the years at Mammoth Mountain, 1974-5 was nothing compared to 2011.  They were there 3 weeks before yet the pictures are almost exactly the same.  I was a few days behind them and probably followed their tracks over the pass.  Back then, all of us who made it through had snowshoes or skis, though we only used them part of the day after the snow softened.  I'm curious as to when you left the snow behind for good.  I'll bet people (residents, not hikers) are hoping for another year like 2011!

Alan