[pct-l] cowboy camping and dew on a sleeping bag

Brian Watt bwatt at 1fifoto.com
Wed Dec 3 22:22:29 CST 2014

Hi Speed,

I assume you are asking two different questions one about cowboy camping
and the other about dew on a sleeping bag.

As for cowboy camping I would do it whenever and wherever you can. It
makes breaking camp much easier and faster. And just looking up and
seeing the stars at night is darn neat. I did it mostly in Southern
California until I got into areas with mosquitoes, because I really
don't like mosquitoes at all. This meant that I started to tent camp
when I got closer to the Sierra Nevada mountains. Later in Northern
California and Oregon it again could be possible to cowboy camp yet for
me once I got used to tent camping I kept it up from there on out.
Remember you mileage may vary. I traveled with other hikers that where
less upset by those little buggers and would cowboy camp in Northern
California and Oregon too.

As for dew on a sleeping bag. Don't camp on meadows or low spots. Once
in Washington I finished my days hike and the campsite was in a lush
meadow. I just had to camp there, because I was too tried to go on. The
next morning everything was soaking with dew - just drenched. Yet I had
to pack up my dripping wet tent and quite moist sleeping bag and head
out for the day. Then later in the day at the the first chance of sun or
breeze such as while eating a snack or lunch I would hang them to dry.
Someone else told me that drying out your equipment is your first priority.

Bri/Tartan