[pct-l] Freeze dried or dehydrated food?

S Z isz at me.com
Wed Aug 27 15:37:50 CDT 2014

Hi Cat,
Cookless or stoveless?

On my Sierra section hikes this summer I went stoveless with commercial dehydrated [vegan] food combined with added freeze dried vegetables.

I ran the food through the food processor so that it would rehydrate quicker / more easily, then baggied them up, a couple of meals to a bag, and added extra freeze dried Harmony House spinach, carrots, potatoes, chives, shallots and lentils. The freeze dried stuff I did not have to food-process to rehydrate.

I carried a 16oz plastic container that I used for rehydrating; once we got to camp I put my dinner serving in the container, added water and olive oil, shook it up and let it sit while I put up my tent. I would be eating while everyone else was still cooking.

I selected spicy foods that were warming even though they were not hot.