[pct-l] Convertable backpacks, bike or back

Ron Graybill rgraybill44 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 03:12:38 CDT 2014

Has anyone had experience with convertible backpacks--packs you can carry
on your back and then convert them to saddlebags on your mountain bike?
 I'm NOT at all contemplating riding a mountain bike on the PCT, but for a
lone section hiker, such a pack might have promise.  Say I throw my pack in
the car, put my bike on the rack on the back, drive to the end point of my
section hike, park my car there.  Then I convert the pack to saddlebags and
put them on the bike.  Then ride the bike along roads to the beginning
point of my PCT hike.  There I park my bike (locking it to a sturdy shrub
well out of sight), take the "saddlebags" off, convert them to their
backpack configuration, then hike to my car at the endpoint of the hike.
 Then drive back and retrieve the bike.  I know, sounds complicated, but
such is the life of a section hiker. See:
http://www.convertiblebackpacks.us/

Ron "Slo Charger" Graybill
p.s. getting back from my summer in Denmark soon to resume section hiking.