[pct-l] Oregon fires

Alan & Linda Julliard atjulliard at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 12:06:05 CDT 2014

I will be hiking from Odell Lake to Timberline Lodge with friends starting in a week.  This will be the first time I have revisited this section since my hike in 1975.  Surprisingly there have been few changes since then.  I have been watching the fire updates and the PCT appears to still be open.  Of course, that could easily change: we went through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River last August just days before the Rim Fire broke out.  If you have been through this section in Oregon recently, please let me know how you found conditions to be and anything to watch for, such as reroute due to fire.  Secondly, if you have recently visited Elk Lake Resort, Big Lake Youth Camp or Olallie Lake Resort, please share your impressions as well.  Specifically I will be hunting for beer, meals and goodies from any stores.  I realize Big Lake doesn't have a store but the beer selection at Elk Lake looks great!  Ok, some things have changed in 39 years: I had a can of Coor's (Coor's Light did not yet exist) on the porch of Olallie Lake though I was not yet "legal".

Thanks!

Alan