[pct-l] PCT Record Attempt

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Aug 15 05:18:42 CDT 2014

Gail,
Yogi does not mean to be rude and nasty.
She can't help it...it's just the nature of the beast.

Yes, there is a big difference between "WITH" & "WITHOUT" a support team.

And yes, they do get to see the beauty of the trail in a more panaromic
way, because they see 2-3 times as much scenery every day.
Instead of of passing one lake or going over one pass every 2-3 days,
they may pass 2-3 lakes and go over 2-3 passes a day.

Also, there is something to be said about setting extremely high goals
and then pushing your body to the extreme to accomplish those goals.

It is not everybody's cup of coffee, but very satisfying to those who like
their coffee that way.

JMT Reinhold
Your trail companion who likes his coffee that way
--------------------------

Yogi wrote:
WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE HIS EXPERIENCE?
--------------------------

Gail wrote:
While I think Joe's attempt at the record is remarkable and wonderful that
he would raise funds for cancer, it is assisted.  From reading the newspaper
article, it seems that he is met by his team almost every night.  He doesn't
have to set up camp, carry very much weight and find resupplies on his own.
This alone allows him to have a bit more energy or at the very least he's
not expending energy on things that don't get him down the trail.

I also have a hard time with those that say that Josh Garret is the current
record holder, because he too was assisted.  In my opinion, Heather Anderson
holds the real record because she did it on her own, unassisted.

With all the record setting attempts, do these people even see the beauty of
the trail?