[pct-l] Bear Canisters: Good for Bear, not for Hungry Hiker?

Chris Martin hopeforgorilla at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:33:15 CDT 2014

You folks are assuming that a typical hiker limits their carried food to
what fits inside a bear canister. This was simply untrue for the vast
majority of hikers that I met in the Sierra this year.

It's more like this: pack the bear bucket full, then put the rest of your
food in another sack. All your food will fit in the canister after a few
days.

Yes, this partially defeats the purpose of carrying a bear canister. We
never had any issues.