[pct-l] Seattle Runner Smashes Speed Record For Full Length Of Pacific Crest Trail

groundpounderbill22 groundpounderbill22 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 22:37:20 CDT 2014

    We met String Bean on our Whitney hike, we were headed back to K M he seemed like a Great guy
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

------ Original message------From: Brick RobbinsDate: Wed, Aug 13, 2014 16:39To: PCT;Subject:[pct-l] Seattle Runner Smashes Speed Record For Full Length Of	Pacific Crest TrailBy TOM BANSEA 23-year-old Seattle man has smashed the speed record for hiking thefull length of the Pacific Crest Trail. Recent college grad JoeMcConaughy crossed into Canada on Sunday, exactly 53 days, 6 hours and37 minutes after leaving the Mexican border on the storied trail.McConaughy says he felt elation and disbelief at the finish of the2,660 mile journey.“I immediately broke down,” he recalled a few hours later. “I wasswitching between laughing and crying - thinking of all theseincredible tales and trips we’d had day in, day out and all the pain.”There is no official time keeper for long distance trail records.McConaughy had a support team and a satellite tracking beacon toverify his time. He says he ran the downhill and flat sections andgenerally hiked the uphills.Even McConaughy sounds astonished by the pace he maintained. “I can’tbelieve that I averaged 50 whole miles a day over some of the toughestmountains in the West – the toughest mountains in the West,” hemarveled.The Seattle native shaved a full six days off the unofficial recordtime for a supported end-to-end Pacific Crest Trail hike. Santa MonicaCollege track coach and exercise physiology instructor Josh Garrett –a vegan – held the previous record of 59 days, 8 hours and 14 minutes.Garrett set that mark last summer.morehttp://nwpr.org/post/seattle-runner-smashes-speed-record-full-length-pacific-crest-trail_______________________________________________Pct-L mailing listPct-L at backcountry.netTo unsubscribe, or change options visit:http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-lList Archives:http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/All content is copyrighted by the respective authors. Reproduction is prohibited without express permission.