[pct-l] Snow on Goat Rocks?

Roger Carpenter roger at elkpass.com
Sun Aug 3 18:54:07 CDT 2014

I just returned from Goat Rocks where I hiked the PCT up to the 7000' level just below Old Snowy Mtn and the catwalk area.  The Packwood Glacier is smaller across than normal and the snow is soft due to the warm temperature.  Hikers were getting across the snow with no difficulty.

I met thru - hiker Homeless Man on August 2 in Goat Rocks Wilderness who told me 50 thru - hikers were ahead of him. By comparison, back in the day,1996, I was just across the CA/OR border on August 2, #10 among thru-hikers that year!

Roger Carpenter
Portland, Oregon U.S.
PCT So. Cal. 1995
PCT Mexico - Canada 1996