[pct-l] Bearikade failure

River Malcolm river at orcasonline.com
Tue Apr 22 12:12:04 CDT 2014

Hi

I am a great fan of my bearikade weekender (and amazed how much I can cram on and how well it works in my pack) but heard (no longer recall from whom but think reliable source) that a voraciously hungry momma bear knocked one over a cliff. The tumble banged and bent it so badly that she was then able to pry off the lid. I had thought no one without an opposable thumb could possibly open it -- but I suspect no design will ever be 100 percent risk free.

We are so lucky aren't we to be able to hike this hike? But sometimes for me it's uncomfortable to be reminded of the risks. Then I remind myself that the risks of driving a busy freeway are probably greater. So i do my best to exercise due caution and trust the universe I will be able to handle whatever comes my way.

Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and experience and for the HYOH philosophy.

I'm section hiking walker pass to hway 10 (ziggy and the bear), resting today at Casa de luna. Some of the most wonderful people I've ever met, these Anderson's. Trail angels such a special group of folks.

Happy Trails, all.

Sent from my iPhone