[pct-l] One story of the decision to go hiking...

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Tue Apr 22 09:11:51 CDT 2014

Back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, we weighed the total weight of our packs.
Today everyone is referring to base weights, so is that including water and
food?  What is the true weight of packs today?  Some of the huge differences
in weight is accounted for just in food and water...which weighs the same as
it did back then!  Granted, we have so much more lightweight equipment
today, and it seems we are bringing less.  But, are we bringing so much less
that we don't have what we need?  First aid?  Correct clothing?  Water?
Shelter?