[pct-l] water filtration with the Sawyer Mini

Wolfgang Greystoke wolfgangg at email.com
Sat Apr 19 14:00:17 CDT 2014

John, on water filtration with the Sawyer Mini,

I am not sure why you think the Platypus blatters are stronger then the Camelbak bladder.  I have had my 3L Camelbak for about 10 years and it still works great.  I do think it it heaver then the new Platypus models though.

I have not tried the zip closures so those might be easier then the screw cap ones, but the large opening on the Camelbak is fairly easy to fill with water.  If needed you could use your cook pot or a cut nown water bottle to fill with.  But again the large opening is easier to work with then the small cap size opening.

I am currently using my 3L bag as the dirty bag, I have set up the mini in-line to the mouth piece and just drink from it, clean water on demand.  This allows me to fill up and quickly be back on the trail, no need to wait for the water to filter.  If I am going to need more then 3L to the next water source I would fill some additional smart water bottles with filtered water and then refill the bladder and head out.  I normally only carry one of these, but they fit great in side pockets and back mesh pockets so you could really add as much as needed.

One other thing, I carry the hydration bladder in the outside back (or Front) mesh pocket, I know this puts the weight away from your back, but it's much easier to get in and out, and I don't worry about it leaking inside my back.   Which I have had nappen on a smaller off brand before.

Wolfman
------------------------------

From: John Herrin <johndavidherrin at gmail.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Water filtration question

I am in the process of switching over from my Pur Hiker water filter/pump
to a Sawyer squeeze system and replacing my Camelbak bladders with Platypus
bladders. I am guessing the Platypus bladders are stronger than the
Camelbaks as it seems everyone on this site refers to them.

I have a couple of questions. First, I remember reading that quite a few
people had the Sawyer bags fail. Have they remedied this problem? If not,
what soft bags/bladder do most people use? Evernew? Platypus bladders?
Platypus Big Zip bladders?

Also, with my Pur filter and Camelbak bladders I used their quick-connect
system that allowed me to pump directly into the bladder using it's
hose/tube. I see Platypus offers a very similar quick-connect system.
Anyone have experience with this system?
Will I be able to do this with the Sawyer mini?

One last question. With my old pump water system I was able to pump water
out of very shallow streams. I am guessing that filling up my "dirty" water
bag will require a deeper water source. Or do some folks use a scoop? Is it
easier to collect water using the big zip platypus bladders rather than a
soft bag with a regular screw on cap?

Just trying to figure this out.

Thanks,
John Herrin