[pct-l] at & t mobile cards

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:15:54 CDT 2014

​ Hello Adrian,

If you go T Mo, you might consider getting two SIM cards / numbers: one for
talk and one for data. If you go with their $3 (or $2) a day data/talk/web
plan, it might work for your data/web needs. Use the other SIM for talk.
Check out their non contract plans. If you only used your data plan SIM for
X days / month, it might be cost effective for you. That data plan is
“unlimited” talk as well ~~ one SIM might work for you. T Mo can be very
inexpensive even with two SIMs; it all depends on your communication
requirements/demands. And low costs might lead you to buy one of their
unlocked phones.

One downside of the above strategy is removing SIM #1 and inserting SIM #2
when you need to go from the talk SIM to the $3/day data plan SIM. A
solution to this is secure an unlocked dual SIM GSM phone that will work on
T Mo – check out Amazon, including the "reviews". Over the years I
purchased all my unlocked / GSM phones in SE Asia where dual SIM GSM phones
are common and they all work on T Mo and they come without the junk apps,
software T Mo add-ons, etc. A hot item in Malaysia right now is a dual SIM
Moto G. Adrian, since you're coming from abroad, you might be able to pick
up an unlocked GSM phone in your neighborhood that will work on either ATT
or T Mo: cross-check the phone specs with ATT and/or T Mo bandwidth
requirments.

T Mo coverage, IMHO, is much better on the PCT compared to 5 years ago,
especially after the ATT / T Mo “breakup” which netted T Mo a hunk of
bandwidth, a couple of billion, and more ATT access for T Mo users.
Sometimes on the trail when I fire up my dump phone (with T Mo service) the
ATT logo comes up.

On time at Lake Odell (Shelter Cove) a bunch of us were in the store and
someone ask about Verizon service. The cashier replied “try the end of the
dock”. Someone then ask about ATT service and got a “no service” reply. I
couldn't resist: “what about T Mobile”? The cashier rolled her eyes and
just smiled. Everyone else roared with laughter: I was laughing the
hardest. But outside I took a seat at the picnic table adjacent to the
store with my hot dogs and beer and fired up my phone: 3 bars!

Adrian, welcome to the US; have a wonderful hike!

be hope