[pct-l] San Gabriels

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 13:21:19 CDT 2014

This past weekend, I was backpacking the 53 mile Silver Moccasins Trail
which shares trail with the PCT from Three Points to Vincent Gap.  I
encountered 2 thru-hikers that had started back in March; One yoging beer
from some trail runners at Eagles Roast picnic area and the other was
descending from Little Jimmy trail camp.  I didn't even start until April
17 in 2009 and here are hikers already 3 weeks in.

There is still some snow on Baden Powell but its mainly just large snow
banks.  The trail coming up from Vincent's Gap has well worn tracks through
the snow due to the high volume of day hikers.  The trail on the other side
has far less traffic and there was one dicey snow crossing but otherwise
wasn't anything difficult.  And I suspect that in another week, most of
those snow banks will have melted off.

Trail just south of Windy gap has several blowdowns.  There was a new sign
(at least to me as I hadn't been here since 2009) at the Windy Gap trail
junction talking about food/resupply available at Crystal Lake Recreation
area below but that's 2.5 miles one way and you'd have to climb back up.

Will send a water report to the usual place.

-Miner