[pct-l] BLM says Alcohol and Esbit Stoves are legal on BLM Land with permit

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Apr 12 13:59:49 CDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Ken Murray <kmurray at dr.com> wrote:
> As I previously said, I will testify at the trial having to do with the fire set by
>these devices. You can, too.

It seems that you really don't care what the rules say. It appears you
just don't like esbit and alcohol stoves.

> you must LOVE having bagged some PR guy who has no idea of what
>a alcohol stove is, and so negating a definition that agencies have used
>for years. And so, you've made our forests more vulnerable to a firestorm.

A few points.

1) If you actually bother to read the email you are replying to, you
will see that the BLM didn't answer me, they answered James Vesely .
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2014-April/073974.html
The BLM employee who answered was "Razo, Stephen" <srazo at blm.gov>. I
suggest you sent Stephen your nasty gram, and call him an ignorant PR
guy personally. See how that works for you.

2)You said that the BLM order used a "definition that agencies have
used for years." If this was the case, then that definition would have
been easily available, but no one was able to find it, so we asked.

3)I never took a position on whether the BLM order prohibited or
allowed esbit and alcohol stoves. I simply stated that it was unclear
from the wording in the order. I also pointed out that that the PCTA
had made up their own wording on their fire page, and didn't use the
exact wording from the BLM order. Changing "such as" to "only"  is not
a minor change. At least 3 people I know of asked the BLM for
clarification. So far James Vesely is the only person who received a
response. If I find any other responses, I will forward them to the
list, no matter what they say.

4)Since you seem so very angry that the BLM's response was not the one
you wanted, I suggest you direct your outrage at them. Maybe you can
get a different response or even get the person who issued the order
to change it. That would be Teresa A. Rami, District Manager,
California Desert District.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/cdd/fire_page.Par.21055.File.dat/CDD2014-Fire-Restriction-Order.pdf

Getting angry at me may make you feel better, but it doesn't actually
change anything.