[pct-l] The technique of charge a lithium-ion battery of DSLR camera by the solar panel

Ryan Weidert ryan.weidert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:13:14 CDT 2014

I too have come across the inevitable, "my camera requires rechargeable
lithium batteries and I plan on draining more than one" situation. My
solution is to go to Amazon and buy 3 or 4 (or more) cheap ($5-10) knockoff
batteries, fully charge them before the trip and just carry them. In the
end they weigh less than the solar charger and charger docking station
needed to recharge them. I've never had the batteries damage my cameras
(Canon 7D and Rebel XTi or s100) and only one has ever failed after a year
or two after use. They may not last as long as the manufacture battery
(probably on order of 80-85% of OEM capacity) but do the trick without
hurting the wallet. Plus you'll have more batteries as backup for other
trips! On my last speed attempt, I had my mail drop person charge a battery
then put it in my resupply box, thus I could get charged batteries and not
have to carry charging gear. The other battery goes into the hiker box (is
cheap enough to leave) and off you go.

cheers,
Tuna Helper

--