[pct-l] Do not shortchange on water

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Fri Apr 11 10:47:26 CDT 2014

I started last Sunday with 6 liters figuring that would be adequate to get me to Lake Moreno.  Not so!  I'm 61 and figured on getting to LM on second day, which  I did.  However, the current daytime temps are above average with close to 100 on the trail already.  I only had a liter left when I hot  to Hauser Creek and was suffering from conserving water.  Thank goodness for Mr. Clean, a local teacher, who placed several gallons at the creek, which is bone dry.  Without it I would have been in a dangerous situation.  The hike out of the creek climbs sharply for quite some time with little shade.  As it was I needed 2  full days to recover from dehydration.

Mr Clean, a trail angel if there is ever one, may do a thru again this year, which means there may not be a cache at Hauser Creek.  I met 3 repeat  PCTers at LM who agreed that the heat is making the first 20 miles very arduous.  For those new to the trail, profit from my experience and  take more water than you think you'll need.

Sent from my iPad