[pct-l] Fishing

Hollywood 100marathonsorg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 13:19:33 CDT 2014

There is good fishing to be had along the trail, the question is access and timing. I'm an avid fisherman but speaking from the NOBO perspective, so seasonality could play a big part in the fishing.

NOBO I would mail an ultralight spinning rod or fly rod to Kennedy meadows and send it home from Tahoe. I carried mine further and wished I hadn't. And I never once regretted sending it home. There are lots of lakes in OR but they are very clear and looked tough to bank fish.  Also many of the lakes don't have easy access and you'll probably be realizing you need to turn on the burners in OR and WA a bit to finish the trail given that you've wasted so much time fishing in the Sierra! ;)

Do not miss Benson lake. Do. Not. Miss.

If you want some game in OR there are lots of crayfish in the shallow lakes. Just turn over rocks and logs. A mosquito net is the prefect way to nab them as they swim away backwards. They can only go backwards. Trail lobster anyone?

And yeah, licenses are an issue. Out of state licenses are expensive. I don't think gear is worth the weight outside of the Sierra, where it was the best thing I carried. Including clothing.

Hollywood