[pct-l] Trail Yogurt

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 18:42:11 CDT 2013

I used a heavy duty freezer quality zip lock bag for the entire CDT last
year and never had a leak.  That one bag made it to Canada with me.  I did
it also on a 3 week re-hike of Washington's Cascades two years ago and a
Grand Canyon hike.  Those bags are very tough if properly closed.

I put the yogurt culture in the zip lock with however much Nido and water I
feel like I want for the next day and then fold the zip lock in a 6" x 10"
piece of mylar insulation for protection and then put that little mylar
sandwich in a small black nylon bag.  I sleep with it in my sleeping bag
with me at night so that my body heat cultures the yogurt.  Next day I put
the black nylon bag on top of my pack so the sun warms it, or on cold days,
carry it in my shirt pocket to continue the body heat culturing.  When I'm
ready to start soaking my breakfast, which I do after dinner each day, the
yogurt is ready to eat, sour and delicious.  One yogurt start lasted 3
months or so and then began to taste a bit like milk wine.  At that point,
wild yeast had begun to win the battle with the yogurt bacteria that Diane
mentions, and I simply bought some fresh store yogurt and started the
culture again.  It is sooo much better than straight up Nido every day and
so easy to make.

 Because I sleep with the culturing yogurt, the softness of the zip lock is
more comfortable for me to keep in my sleeping bag and in my shirt pocket
during the day, and it's a bit lighter than the plastic jars.  But Diane
and Yoshihiro did fine with the jars.  All the yogurts were delicious and
sustainable for this year's trip's duration.

Shroomer