[pct-l] Hitchhiking hints

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Wed Sep 25 10:05:54 CDT 2013

I've hitched to and from and while backpacking for 45 years.  As I get
older I look a little crustier, graying beard, longer ponytail, more
face creases.  What helps is a big smile, an animated stance, and my
backpack leaning against my legs.  When the 120th family passes me, or
the 500th couple in a giant SUV who consciously ignores me, I make sure
to acknowledge them with a wave - my thumb becomes an open palm, an
affirmation, a greeting, a "thanks anyway."  It's all about attitude.

I've actually thought, while standing on Santiam Pass I wanted to
present as a dufus golden retriever waiting for his human to throw the
tennis ball - all aquiver...

Jeff...