[pct-l] New Wanna-be Thru-hiker- Cost

Doug Carlson doug-sue at centurylink.net
Mon Sep 23 10:05:25 CDT 2013

I have seen cost estimates of what it actually costs to thru hike as low as
$2- $3 dollars a day factoring in costs of guides, gear, food, etc.  But I
have never seen that cost down to zero.  Living takes money whether at home
or on the trail.  That is all there is too that.

I am retired.  I don't have a lot of income, but now it's like an allowance
and it just comes in regardless of what I do.  In that way, retirement is
probably the easiest time of one's life to afford and manage long distance
hiking- if one can wait that long.

Or, plan carefully and retire a bit early and hike your feet off!!

-Trew (retired!)