[pct-l] Re water sonora pass to echo lake

sarah estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 22 11:50:56 CDT 2013

From: Dan Campbell <dan at camelbackhotel.com>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:03:23 -0700
Subject: [pct-l] Re water sonora pass to echo lake
Message: 11

>I plan on hiking from sonora pass to echo lake next week.  I noticed on
>halfmile's maps there were a lot of seasonal creeks.  Are there many
>reliable water sources this late in the year in this section?  Thanks!

Hi Dan.  Just got back from that section.  Surprisingly, all the seasonal creeks were running except WACS1030, WACS 1055 (Eagle Creek), and WA 1066 (Tamarack Lake outlet).  The first two were no big deal, but lack of water at Tamarack Lake outlet meant no water between Wet Meadows at 1063 and Lost Lakes at 1072.  Tamarack Lake itself is not as easy to access as it looks, but Lost Lakes are. With this recent storm, there should be more water now.  By the time I crossed Highway 50 yesterday, the artificial creek draining Echo Lakes was uncrossable and I had to road walk the rest of the way.  Have a great time!
FreeRange