[pct-l] New Wanna be Thru-hiker

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 10:40:33 CDT 2013

After hiking the AT, I honestly changed my whole life. I found a career that allows me months off at a time. I went through a couple of false starts, then took 6 years off from long distance hiking to establish myself in what I had finally chosen. Once I understood that hiking would be my life,I organized. Except for hiking equipement, I never buy anything new--even hiking clothes I find in second hand stores. I live in a very cheap apt the size of a AT shelter. Every penny goes in a savings acct. for the next hike.Somewhere between 14 and 15 thousand miles later--I've lost count--I know I made the right choice. During "work" periods I put in 50-70 hour weeks. I try to make the light gear last a long time. I believer Cindy Ross has written about how she does it ,financially.I would not trade those months on the trail for anything.Marmot