[pct-l] Isobutane Canister performance

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 13 04:56:40 CDT 2013

The PET the clear soda bottles, are also good for carrying white gas. There are various substances in auto-gas that will eventually harden the plastic and eat away at the seals. (I was told the toluene family, and, some of the additives causes that.) But, this works slowly on the plastics. 2-3 uses means the bottle is not as tough, but still usable. There is often some WG left in it anyway to dilute it. They come in different sizes, from a baby's juice container(8oz) to larger 1Liter bottles in increments of 2oz up to 12oz. I have a selection of bottles in the 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 24oz sizes. 12oz is the most useful for me and will supply 3 cups of boiled water twice per day for two weeks plus simmering for supper. Because of fuel density, it weighs only 10.4oz including a second top with a tube...that also acts as a filler, and, a "vacumme cleaner" for spare fuel either in a WG stove or an alcohol stove. I have never had one break. I intentionally left fuel in one for over a year, then threw it on the ground, against a tree, and finally against some rocks. I *did* manage to pop the top off by jumping on it with both feet together. They are likely safer than metal, since you can squeeze them down while using them, limiting explosive vapors, inside. The trouble is, it is impossible to buy only 12oz. So, ~2/3 of a quart bottle of White Gas is left somewhere...on a picnic table, at a park, given to a fellow hiker, at a well used campsite, etc.

Anyway, clear soda bottles work well as fuel bottles, just make sure to us a different type from your drinking water so you cannot confuse them in the dark.

	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm