[pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Sep 9 21:02:22 CDT 2013

[pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT

Diane,
You are dancing in circles.
The crazy thing I agree with, but when you call my buddies "STUPID"
just because they challenge themselves to see how fast they can go,
I take exception with that insult.
I know Scott and Brian and many of the other speed hikers.
They are not stupid..they just like challenging themselves a little
more than you.

I think you owe all of them a apology.

Like I said...in nature not all things are created equal.
Some of us are born with 4 cylinders, some of us are born with 8
cylinders.
There are tortoises and there are rabbits.
The 4 cylinders and the tortoises will forever complain that the
8 cylinders and the rabbits are going to fast.
Just because challenging yourself and speed hiking is not your cup
of tea does not mean that those who do are "STUPID".
Your way of hiking is not the one and only correct way.
I say let the 4 cylinders and tortoises go on their journey their
own merry way and let the 8 cylinders and rabbits roam down the
trail at whatever speed.
As long as they enjoy their journey, it does not matter what speed
they are traveling at.

JMT Reinhold

-----------------------------------

Diane wrote:
I don't think speed hikers are crazy. Well, all hikers are a little
crazy, including me. I think doing a long trail as a record attempt
is a silly thing to do so I have a only minor interest in it, and
don't hold it to the esteem verging on worship that a lot of other
people do. What is absolutely crazy, in my opinion, is seeing hiking
a long trail as a sport with winners and losers, with people who
succeed and people who fail.

/>/  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT
/>/
/>/  I think it's kind of amusing that thru hikers may consider speed
/>/  hikers a
/>/  bit crazy.  To the rest of the world thru hikers are more than a
/>/  bit crazy!!
/>/
/>/  To each, his own! (aka HYOH)
/>/  Timberline