[pct-l] Foreign Hiker - 2 questions and SPOT Connect

Maxine Weyant weyantm at msn.com
Sat Sep 7 14:33:11 CDT 2013

This may not help your ability to journal over the phone, but the company that makes SPOT, a tracking device, has come out with a new product called SPOT Connect.  I've never used it, but it supposedly allows you to link your smartphone to a satellite system in areas where you don't have a cell signal.  You have to download an app to your phone and then your phone and the device link up via a bluetooth connection.  You can send short text messages and emails too, I believe.  It's not just for emergencies.  You also have to subscribe to a service which is probably very expensive, and obviously you'll have to use a phone that works with it.   Read the fine print, since I don't want to mis-inform you.  I think their website is findmespot.com.

Dys-feng shui-nal