[pct-l] Dangers of high elevation hiking

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Sep 5 15:26:22 CDT 2013

[pct-l] MHD....How it all started & Research Conclusion

Yogi wrote:   Gender has no influence on hiking capabilities.
Linsey wrote: This is wrong, women have an endurance advantage....
Yogi wrote:   How many through-hikes have you completed?
               My guess is ZERO.
Linsey wrote: pct-l...WHO PISSED IN YOUR CHEERIOS?
----------------------
Reinhold writes:

Linsey,
Ignore Yogi's rude response.
She does not mean to be rude...it's just the nature of the beast.
Yogi has spend many, many nights at high elevation and as a result,
like many thru-hikers, may be suffering from a condition known in
medical circles as "MHD"...Moronic Hiking Disorder.
MHD is frequently associated with long distance hiking and oxygen
deprivation at high elevations and is known to give rise to odd
behavior and rude outbursts.

The below posts will help you understand this dreadful disorder and
how to recognize the symptoms in other hikers.

Poor Switchback seems to have it the worst.
He spends countless hours packing, unpacking and repacking his pack
and countless nights sleeping in his tent in his back yard thinking
he is in the wilderness, and when he is in the wilderness, he is
known to raid and plunder innocent hikers.

He thinks raiding and plundering innocent hikers is normal....but
we know better....it's  "MHD".

Poor, long suffering Mrs. Switchback has had to put up with this for
a long time.

Dr. Reinhold