[pct-l] Mountain bikers

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Oct 28 13:30:26 CDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Doug Carlson <doug-sue at centurylink.net> wrote:
> Backpackers do not own the trail.  Its nice not to run into bikes and horses, and lamas and radios, and I hate gadgets like phones in the backcountry- and sometimes other backpackers annoy me, and......<

This is not a matter of simply annoying someone, or "hikers with a
sense of entitlement not sharing the trail," this is a matter of
safety.

As an avid bicyclist, and bicycling activist, I can say that bicycle
and pedestrian traffic do not mix well, which is why bicycles are not
allowed on sidewalks.

The chance of vehicular and pedestrian traffic conflicting is just too
high,... A high speed MTB bombing downhill, with a rider wearing armor
and a full face helmet, just doesn't mix with a hiker, or a pack
animal on foot.

Documenting conflicts or illegal use, should be  a high priority,
since the lack of conflict documentation is used by the IMBA and other
such organizations to justify displacing foot traffic the trails with
high speed vehicular traffic, "because there is no conflict."

Report illegal use here
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/pct/home/?cid=stelprdb5361615