[pct-l] Postholer's Map Books?

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 19:55:23 CDT 2013

I've always tried to impart on people who come to my Sierra Club
hikes that miles are totally relative. One mile in the heat is
farther than one mile on a cool day. One mile uphill is a lot harder
than one mile on level. One mile when you are dehydrated might be
impossibly long. The last mile might seem a lot farther than the
first, or vice-versa, because sometimes the way back seems shorter
than the way there, sometimes longer. So don't me how many miles and
expect anything more than a an approximation.

Still, on the PCT, you do have a sense of doing this epic endurance
thing and it is pretty interesting to know exactly how many miles you
have gone each day. I always enjoyed tallying up my daily total. So I
can see why people really like knowing the exact mileage as they go.
I used the data book for that purpose, not a map.

I also used the WP guide books for knowing where there might be water
off trail or bail-out points or ways to get to towns instead of using
maps for that. After So-Cal and reliance on the invaluable water
report, requiring a map to find water is not really necessary while
on the PCT. By that I mean that the half-mile maps or the data book
and guide books are enough. You don't really need a wide overview map
to find water on the PCT.