[pct-l] North Cascades Weather

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 18:57:47 CDT 2013

Well, after that early snow, the PNW has been having a long stretch of clear, no rain / snow conditions.

Those of us who help to take care of the trail thought we'd be shut down early this year, between the weather and the Govt thing (which put on hold the volunteer agreements.)  Anyways, with the clear skies and the USFS at work, so are the volunteers, at least up here in Washington (and I'm sure in other spots up and down the trail).

So, for those of you in the greater Seattle, Everett, Olympia, Yakima, Wenatchee, Cle Elum, Packwood and other areas, why not get the heck out from under the fog and clouds and up into the sunny mountains.  For recently finished 2013 Thru's, here's your chance to come and give back.  For those wanting to thru, section or day hike in 2014 and beyond, here's your chance to engage in some enlightened self help.

The North 350 Blades, the local PCTA volunteer trail crew chapter, has work parties on Saturday the 26th, Tuesday the 29th and on Thursday the 31st near and just south of Snoqualmie Pass (in Section I).  We can always use more folks, no experience is necessary.  When digging in the dirt, clearing drainage, etc, more folks mean we can maintain more miles of tread.  When clearing brush, the extra set of hands or two can make the difference between an extra brush saw going for a day (or having an extra person to dedicate to minor tread repairs right behind the brushing team).

All tools are provided - all you have to do is show up properly dressed, with a day pack, water and lunch and the crew has everything else covered.  It'll be a mix of annual maintenance and power brush clearing.  E-mail the Blades at north350blades at gmail.com for more info and to sign up and find us on Facebook (Search FB for "North 350 Blades" - pictures of our work are there as well).

And it DOES make a difference.  I re-hiked the section between Snoqualmie and Stampede Pass recently.  Compared to how it was in 2009, all the work of the USFS Cle Elum Ranger District, Blades, WTA and BCH have improved this particular 18 mile stretch tremendously these last 4 years.

If you're not in the north Cascades area, look up your local PCT trail crew on the PCTA web page - from the green "Volunteer" button on the upper right of the PCTA home page, scroll down to the "Regional Groups" link and find the one that covers the stretch of trail near you.