[pct-l] Hiker age

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 14:52:08 CDT 2013

Age doesn't seem to matter so much on the long trail.  Perseverance is much
more important that ultimate speed, making it the perfect adventure for
older folks.  We can moderate our pace to take into account most age
related conditions and if we don't push so hard as to create overuse
injuries, make it many thousands of miles, long into our later years.

In 2010, a hundred miles south of Mt. Hood, I overtook Helen, a small
Korean American woman who looked to be about 65 or so.  She had a huge pack
but trucked right along at a good clip and said she had finished the CA
section of the PCT a few years back and was now about to complete the OR
stretch.  I asked her what had gotten her back on trail and she told me
that most of her friends had passed away and it was just time for her to
finish the Trail.  I was a bit taken aback and asked if she would mind
telling me how old she was.  She brightened up and positively beaming said,
"No, that's fine, I'm 80 years old!"  She was proud as could be and I gave
her a deep bow in respect.  Everyone who got a chance to hike with her that
year was inspired and she later became the subject of a Communicator
article.  She's amazing.

But she wasn't the only elderly person I met that year.  At the Dinsmore's
in WA was Bob Holtel, the first person to run the PCT back in the '80s, and
he too was 80, and running the trail again. His son was providing support.
 His story is told in the book, Soul, Sweat and Survival on the Pacific
Crest Trail.  Then there  were Kiwi and Moa, both in their mid 70's.  Kiwi
made it to Canada.  And there were others.  folks in their 70's are not
that uncommon out there.  Heck Billy Goat blasts out a thru or a huge
section every year.

The next year I re-hiked WA to see what had been shrouded in fog and
drizzle in 2010.  While staying with the Dinsmores again, Andrea got a call
from the Postmaster of the little town of Baring, who relayed "She's here,
get your hikers over!"  "She" was Helen Thayer, the first woman to solo
trek to the North Pole.  She did it twice with only her bear dog as company
and protection and then again with her husband Bill.  The two of them were
the first folks to hike across the Gobi Desert, east to west, lived with
wolves and run a world wide educational service to bring their experiences
of living with 3rd world peoples, the Berber and Bushmen of Africa and many
others, to 1st world kids in their more developed countries.  Adventure
Classroom, had just recently reached their millionth child.  Their stories
are told in Helen's books which are in most REI's and they're great reads.

She was 73 at the time and Bill was 85 and he walked like a young man.
 They had stopped in to say hi to Andrea and "her hikers" after their
recent return from Africa where they had walked 900 miles (if I'm
remembering right)  across the Sahara with camels!  Unbelievable people!

I asked Helen how she managed to stay so active and she told me that they
both regularly trained in the Cascades and always timed their hikes.  Their
goal was to best their times on every succeeding hike.  She gave me a wry
smile and said that so far that year they'd done it.  Wow, what a pair.
 Andrea seems to attract these unbelievable elderly folks at Hiker Heaven
in WA.

I'm not even close to these leagues, but finished the CDT last year, the
year I turned 61, with another near 60 year old and there were others out
there that year.

Barring serious illness and provided we keep in shape, we don't need to
stop doing what we love till we fall over and can't get up someday.  So
keep on truckin' and don't let the grass grow too deep under those trail
shoes.

Shroomer