[pct-l] Expanded maps

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 12:27:00 CDT 2013

When I was hiking near Crater Lake in 2012, there were a number of fires on
or near the trail, causing the occasional PCT closure.  In most cases,
there were posted "workarounds" provided by the Forest Service or other
park jurisdiction.  These workarounds usually involve taking numbered
non-PCT trails for a distance, leading back to the PCT somewhere up or down
trail.

If you don't have maps that show these numbered trails, it will increase
the likelihood that you 1) will get lost and/or 2) will not meet your
hiking goals.

The weight of maps is secondary to their usefulness.

No matter what technology I take (personally, I use a Garmin GPS with
Halfmile's waypoints and track), I have paper maps and a good compass when
I hike.  Technology can, and often does, fail.  I have known at least 5
people who have lost their technology due to a good dunking or even
excessive moisture.

Any other stories of technology failure while on trail?

Chipmunk