[pct-l] Question about Halfmile's smartphone app

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Oct 23 08:06:34 CDT 2013

> Do you get your location noted ON A MAP GRAPHIC?

No, per Halfmile's web pages & the app itself: "This app does not include maps of the PCT. It assumes hikers are using
a printed set of Halfmile's maps."  "...think of this as a very accurate, location aware, digital PCT Data Book."

You can download & store Halfmile's maps and view them with most any .pdf reader app - or better yet look up
"PCTHYOH" (another free app) from which you can easily download & view Halfmile's maps (& store much other info, too
- all can be accessed directly through the app itself).

I have an iPhone, so I don't know much about "Backcountry Navigator" (an Android app) - but "Gaia GPS" is a highly
recommended iPhone app in which you can download Halfmile's PCT traces & waypoints...  With "Gaia GPS" you also
download & store "maps" along the PCT traces so that they are available without cell/wifi access...

I strongly suggest "Guthook's Guides" (not free; both iOS & Android), which has the PCT trace & waypoints w/ descriptions, mileages, & photos from most waypoints.  Guthook has the entire PCT in 5 'volumes'/apps...  The latest iPhone
revisions have a 'problem' (app does not open) - but the 'fix' is submitted and should be rectified within a few days...
"eTrails" (not free; iPhone only), which only covers sections A trough E of the PCT, is similar to Guthook's...

If you have an iPhone, check out Adventure Alan's webpage about using an iPhone as a GPS mapping device...

Halfmile's iPhone pages: <http://www.pctmap.net/smartphone/iphone.html>
Halfmile's Android pages: <http://www.pctmap.net/android/index.html>
Gaia GPS: <http://www.gaiagps.com/>
Guthook's Guides: <http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps>