[pct-l] new resupply option: 1lb Snickers Bar!

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Oct 22 04:58:53 CDT 2013

[pct-l] new resupply option: 1lb Snickers Bar!

Radar,
I love Snickers and I must admit, a one pound Snickers bar sounds
mighty tempting.
However, from an UL or Gram Counter point of view, a one pound
Snickers bar, at 130 calories per ounce, just does not make sense.
Macadamia Nuts, at 200 calories per ounce, will significantly lower
your pack weight and extend the life of your teeth.

I don't know if you value your teeth, but two pounds of Snickers a
day may have a significant effect on the life expectancy of your
teeth and they may be gone by the time you get to Canada.

Of course, from a Gram Counters point of view, teeth weigh, and the
less weight the better.
Me, I like to chew my Macadamia Nuts and you need teeth to do that.
I guess you don't really need teeth for Snickers,...they sort of
melt in your mouth.

But seriously, I love Macadamia Nuts and rely heavily on them on my
JMT fast packs.
I don't know of any food that will deliver 200 calories/oz.
You would have to drink straight oil to beat that.
Because of their heavy oil contents they don't have a dry taste like
mixed nuts,so you don't have to drink a gallon of water every time
you eat them.

Another good thing about Macadamia Nuts, their oil consists primarily
of Monounsaturated oils, one of the most benign oils which does not
effect your Cholesterol level.

JMT Reinhold
Your trail companion with teeth

Radar wrote:
Apparently this has been available for a while, but I had never seen
it before last week: a one pound Snickers bar, 2080 calories.
Unfortunately it isn't cost effective compared to the smaller sizes.

It certainly would make resupply a bit simpler.  Two bars/day = 4,160 calories/day!

<http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snickers-Giant-Size-Slice-N-Share-Bar-1-lb-bar/21895574>

Radar