[pct-l] paying for SAR

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 10 14:30:55 CDT 2013

The year I did my PCT thruhike,I paid a knowledgable person to spend the day with me in the snow. I knew I would probably be alone out there and had no snow experience. He taught me what to do and for hours I threw myself upside down,backwards ---any way I could possibly fall off steep snow covered slopes while he stayed with me. When I hear of people getting a few minutes of instruction and then heading out into the mtns ---I shutter. Two years later I slipped on a traverse on the CDT,was out of practice with a nice axe and the only reason I did not go over a cliff is that a tree stopped me. Self arrest has to be automatic and immediate. These hikes are no joke. I want everyone who wants to hike to go out there and do it because you really can.  But, don't be stupid and unprepared. If you can go skiing--you can take the time to learn what to do in the snow.    Marmot

Sent from my iPhone