[pct-l] Through Hiking as a job

Danny Wormington dannywormington at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 13:46:51 CDT 2013

     My wife and I recently hiked from Steven's Pass to Steheken.  It
was early September and before all this snow and terrible weather. We
only had three days of rain and miserable drizzle.  We met many through
hikers and they were very pleasant for the most part.  One hiker had
stopped briefly at Lake Sally Ann and when he passed us he said he
wished he could spend a zero day there but there was no time.  That was
when I realized that for most of these through hikers the hike is a
job.  It's as if they don't have any sick leave left so they have to
plug on and on.  They don't have time to stop and enjoy, they only have
a deadline to meet even if it means pushing the envelope.
     At one point in the trail a huge tree lay across a switch back so
that you had to climb down a vertical slope to the trail   You had to
cling to slender tree roots, digging your toes into the soft, wet duff
to make your way down.  As my wife climbed  down, a tree root snapped
and she bounced to the trail below, laying on top of her pack like a
turtle on its back.  There was a through hiker who had just caught up
with us and  was waiting impatiently for us to finish our short descent
so that he could hurry on to meet his schedule.  Time was a-wasting.
When he got his chance he danced down the steep slope danced by my still
prone wife.  And hurried out of sight without a pause or a word.  Time
was a-wasting.  I checked my wife out, helped her to her feet and only
then did I begin to wonder what was so important about a through hike
that you didn't have time to help another hiker in distress.  Well, I
was there, so I guess that took the load off him, and his job was so
important that he didn't have time to slow down.
     Just a thought.  Perhaps it is the same kind of thinking that drops
a hiker unwittingly into chest deep snow without warm clothes or enough
food.
     It isn't really a job.

Danny