[pct-l] Paying for SAR

Groff,Alec J S504775 at mail.nwmissouri.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:14:07 CDT 2013

___Most of the time, the hiker doesn't "initiate the call" and it wasn't
until quite recently that people stuck in the wilderness actually
could call for their own rescue.

Im glad you brought this up. I was unknowingly a part of SAR on a multi day trip on the Ozark Highland Trail. I was part of a group that was all prepared and educated for most all encounters we expected to face. One of my buddies spouses had a breakdown in communication on when We'd be off the trail. She thought that we should have been off the trail before we were. She freaked out and started a SAR which we didnt know about until we turned on our phones back at the vehicle after completing the hike.