[pct-l] Rescue (was Re: Another missing hiker found)

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:00:41 CDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013 1:50 PM, "Andrea Dinsmore" <andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com>
wrote:

> Too many for PCT hikers ?? 2 this season and 1 last season. Maybe 1-2% a
> year up here. And it's usually me that calls for the hikers. Most years we
> don't have the need to call on hikers. So 98% of SAR rescues are for non
> PCT hikers.
>
> Andrea

Oh yeah, gotta agree with that last sentence, even if the number isn't
accurate. In the Portland, OR area news media alone, so very many more SAR
missions for casual day or weekend trip hikers or folks recreating for
their summer vacation than any PCT section or through hikers.

Dan Jacobs
Vancouver or Washougal, WA, hard to tell sometimes.