[pct-l] late October California trip

Dale Combs comebackwalking at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 14:54:36 CDT 2013

I have Oct 19 to 27 set aside for hiking for sketching.
I've already section hiked from Ashland OR to Burney Falls.
From Belden down to  6 miles past Tehachapi Pass
and San Francisquito Canyon to Vasco Hills.

Before this whole Federal shutdown thing I was going to hike me some AT starting in Vermont
heading south or I was going to spend that time in the Trinity Alps or the Marble Mts.

With the shutdown, I'm wondering, do I get a local friend to drop me off, pick me up Trinity Alps/Marble Mts?

Or do I work on the Hatcreek Rim section? (But I'm worried that there won't be much water.)

Or head south from Vasco Hills? (Again I'm worried about water, dryness, permit issues)

The second largest State Park in California, Henry Coe, I'm already a volunteer there and typically
do a long trip between Xmas and New Years there, and the rains haven't come yet.

I asking for opinions on the subject of:
*Hat Creek Rim this time of year.
*Heading south from Vasco Hills this time of year.
*Hiking in a wilderness area when you feel less than welcome due to govt shutdown.

I have 5,000 miles, 120 trips so I don't  feel like I need a security blanket.

Is a wilderness a "recreational site?"

Dale